Proposed Walking Tour of Schoharie Village
As part of the Village of Schoharie’s marketing plan it was proposed that a walking tour of the Village should be developed to highlight the many cultural and historical resources in the Village.
The Village of Schoharie is fortunate to have a significant array of historical structures within its boundaries. The Old Lutheran Parsonage (also known as the 1743 Palatine House) is the oldest existing building the Schoharie County. The Old Stone Fort, built in 1772, once a church and now a museum is another historic landmark. Over 60 historic homes and buildings have been identified that would form points of interest in a walking tour of the village.
The Village is currently planning this walking tour. It is proposed to be divided into three areas within which there are pleasant and interesting walks. These are as follows:
Walking Tour #1 — The Old Stone Fort Museum Complex, Schoharie Valley Railroad Museum Complex and surrounding areas.
Centered on the 1772 Old Stone Fort, the walk takes the stroller around a historic cemetery, through a new Lilly garden park sponsored by the Schoharie Promotional Association and finally to the Covered Bridge. Several historic homes are also on view.
Further down Main Street the tour passes the Swarts Tavern, built in 1772 at the same time as the Old Stone Fort.
At the head of Depot Lane stands the Schoharie Valley RailroadMuseum, showing the 1865 brick Station House, the Weigh Station, and a Mill Building, now on the National Registry of Historic Places. There is an original restored passenger car from the Middleburgh and Schoharie Railroad.
A 1900s photo of the Schoharie Station House, now a museum
Walking Tour #2 — From the Presbyterian Church to the Old Lutheran Parsonage
The Presbyterian Church on Main Street was built in 1795. It replaced an older church that was built in 1751, which was located in the center on what is now the cemetery. The foundation stones of the older church were used to build the foundation of the present church, and the names of those who built the 1751 church are visible on the foundation stones.
The walk winds through the cemetery where classic monuments are visible, including those of several congressmen.
Finally, one can reach the 1743 Old Lutheran Parsonage, which is now a living museum sponsored by the Schoharie Colonial Heritage Association. Beyond that one may reach Lasell Park, a small recreational park owned by the Village.
Walking Tour #3 — The Main Street Business District
The Main Street business district is of historic interest in that most of the buildings were erected between 1860 and 1890. It includes the Schoharie County Courthouse, built in 1870, and the Parrott House, a hotel and restaurant also built at that time. The old Throop Drugstore is on the west side of the street, as is the Taylor Block (formerly Hotel Thomas) and other brick edifices.
During the 1930s, the first outdoor movies were shown here, as were the first outdoor talking movies. Thousands of people came each summer weekend to watch from the closed off Main Street. Many of the buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Walking Tour #4 — Along the residential streets including Grand Street, Knower Avenue, Fair Street and Orchard Street
We have identified over 40 homes of historic interest within the residential areas. Most were built between 1830 and 1890. They include the Beatrice Cushing Memorial Library, which was built in 1866 by Jacob Miers, who ran a Dry Goods store on Main Street in Schoharie. It has two fireplaces made of Italian marble inlaid with gold. The front newel post is not original to the building; it came from an unknown structure on the grounds of the Chicago World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893. The property was inherited by Jacob’s only child, Hattie Miers and passed through several more owners before being acquired by the Library.